Last Revised: May 27, 2014
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING.
1. Acceptance of Terms
2. Modifications and Notices
3. We Respect Your Privacy
4. General Information
We use the Butterfly website to offer the Services to you, and to provide information intended to increase your enjoyment of the Services. Our Internet servers may passively and automatically collect certain information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, which may be linked to their Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (which are unique Internet “addresses” assigned to all Internet users by their Internet Service Providers). Server logs may record statistical information, such as visitors’ IP addresses, type of operating systems, time and duration of visit, pages requested, and identify categories of visitors by items such as domains and browser types. These statistics are generally collected and used on an aggregate basis.
● Links to Third Party Websites: Butterfly may contain links to other websites that are provided as a convenience only, and which may have different privacy policies and practices than we do. We have no responsibility for these third party websites, and you are advised to review the privacy policies of any third party websites you choose to visit.
5. What Personal Information do we Collect, and how do we Collect it?
In the course of operating the Services, we have collected and will collect Personal Information from you, including:
● information you voluntarily submit to us when you register an account, such as your user profile (including your name, username, password and email address). In some cases, you will be asked to provide information to a third party, such as when you submit billing information to service providers we use to process payments to us;
● information you voluntarily submit to us when you contact us, such as your comments, suggestions and feedback;
● information you voluntarily submit to us about your connections and messages you send to them; and
● information we may passively and automatically collect from you, such as your IP address, and other information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, as discussed above.
We collect your Personal Information when you sign up for a Butterfly account, when you update your profile and connections, and any other time when you choose to provide us with your Personal Information. If you do not want to provide your Personal Information to us, when you sign up, or if you do not want to provide your Personal Information to your connections, then you should not use the Services. We collect this Personal Information for the following purposes:
● to personalize and improve your use of the Services - we may contact you, from time to time, for that purpose;
● to respond to your requests for services and your questions;
● to manage and develop our business and operations , including personnel and employment matters. For these purposes, we may share user data in an aggregated, non-identifying form (such as providing total user traffic statistics to others) ;
● to confirm your identity;
● to conduct investigations relating to breaches of agreements or laws;
● to carry out any other purpose that you have authorized or that is required or permitted by law.
6. What about Children?
No information from children under age 13. If you are under age 13, please do not attempt to register for Butterfly or provide any personal information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us.
Parental participation. We strongly recommend that minors 13 years of age or older ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet and we encourage parents to teach their children about safe internet use practices.
7. Do we Disclose your Personal Information to Others?
8. Transfer of Personal Information to Service Providers outside Canada
We will only use Personal Information for the purposes that we identify to you. We may engage service providers to assist us with fulfilling these purposes, and, in some instances, these service providers may be located outside Canada. Currently, these service providers include, but are not limited to, third parties that help us store data that we use as part of the Butterfly website, to offer you the Services. We only select service providers that protect Personal Information in a manner that is comparable to the protection we provide under our own privacy policies. However, Personal Information may be subject to, and accessed under, the laws of the countries in which our service providers operate. If you have any questions about our transfer of Personal Information to our service providers outside Canada, or if you would like to learn more about our privacy policies in that regard, please contact our Privacy Officer at the contact information provided below.
9. How do we Safeguard your Personal Information?
10. How long will we Retain your Personal Information?
We will keep your Personal Information for as long as is necessary for us to fulfill the Identified Purposes. Generally speaking, that means we will destroy or anonymize your Personal Information when your account with us is no longer active (in most cases, our retention period is one year). Despite this, in limited circumstances we may be required by law to keep your Personal Information for a longer period of time.
11. Withdrawing your Consent/Verifying and Amending your Personal Information
You may withdraw your consent for us to manage your Personal Information in a particular way, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. However, this may limit our ability to provide you with certain services and/or products (for example, if you no longer wish to share your Personal Information with your connections, then your connections may not be able to view your profile or contact you). As the Internet is a public, dynamic medium, please be advised that you cannot “un-share” content you have already sent to or shared with other Butterfly users, even if you revoke granted permissions or cancel your Butterfly account. You may contact us for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
You can typically access and review your Personal Information that is in our custody or control, and make appropriate changes to it, by logging into your account. If necessary, you may also contact us. You may be required to put your request in writing and to show us identification. The reason we ask for identification is to ensure that, among other things, we do not unintentionally change or release your Personal Information to a third party who is representing himself/herself as you.
Butterfly Support Team
Attention: the Privacy Officer
You may update or make changes to your Personal Information that is in our custody or control by contacting the address above. In addition, you may request access to, or correction of, your Personal Information by writing or emailing us, at the respective addresses provided above.
12. Resolving Your Concerns
If you would like more information about our privacy practices, or if you would like to better understand and verify what Personal Information we have collected about you, please contact the Butterfly Privacy Officer. Please let us know about your questions or concerns and we will do our best to help you.